Monday, May 22, 2006

Things That Make You Go "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

I was hoping to let this die... but I wrote something REALLY BRILLIANT in the comments, and I want to post it here so that we all can benefit from my superior fence-mending skills. Here's what I said:

[T]he phrase "big girl" is gay male slang for "big fag." Several folks... erupted and said that was ridiculous, they'd never heard of it, etc. - as if I was just making it up... The fact remains that the phrase "big girl" (often written "big grrrrl") IS gay male slang. That fact doesn't change because someone hasn't heard of it. Now, some folks don't like it, I get that, some find it sexist, I get that too. I don't happen to agree with them, even if I understand their concern.
Now do you see? I understand your concern, but I don't agree with it!

I want to address one thing head on: A surprising number of fellow members of the gay community have made observations similar to this one:

"Everyone — EVERYONE, gay or straight — knows exactly what he meant. He was calling Roberts a PUSSY. We GOT it. It’s an ASSHOLE thing to say... John is correct to say that he was using a gay expression, and he was still being a misogynist prick. Not everything in gay culture is all rainbow flags and glowsticks."
Well, sorry to burst your bubble there, Mr. I Think I Speak for Everyone in the Gay Community, but you are clearly not immersed in gay slang or gay culture to the same extent that I am. Maybe if you'd been hanging out with me and Sen. Ted Stevens and the gang in the mid-90s, well, maybe then you'd have the relationship with gay culture that I do. (Crazy times. Crazy times...)

By the way, dear readers, the reason why I was forced to change the title of the original post from "GOP Senator Pat Roberts is a big girl" to "GOP Senator Pat Roberts is a big grrrrl" was for linguistic accuracy: As mentioned above, the term is more often written "big grrrl"! I did not change the title (or delete those hundreds of comments) simply because I'm "incapable of admitting when I'm wrong" or because I wanted to "hide my hissy fit" as some of you charged. (I mean, seriously, what kind of sorry excuse for a blogger would make a tiny, almost imperceptible change to a post title--breaking links all across the blogosphere--just to hide something that made him look bad?) No, I simply realized that the original post title could be made more linguistically accurate from a gay standpoint, and so I had to change it immediately!

(NOTE: I didn't change "girl" to "grrrrl" throughout the post itself because, as all top bloggers such as myself are aware, linguistic accuracy is mainly important in post titles.)

Anyway! I hope that was enough of a mea culpa for all you PC freaks out there--because it's all you're going to get. I'll say it one more time: I understand your concern. I feel your pain, even. (Though, as I've previously indicated, I think your pain, and your accusations of misogynya-nya-nya are one big load of hot, steaming bullshit.)

And now, for the benefit of my extremely well-behaved regulars (who have been somewhat unnerved by this whole affair) I think that we should end this and move on, so I am officially requesting that you consider this matter closed. Any further comments on the issue will be DELETED.

-JOHNNY


Update:
Apparently, some of you are Googling "big grrrl," "big grrl," "big grrrl," and "big grrrrrrrrl," and you're not finding much in the big fag context, although you do report "some inspiring tales of empowered young women (grrrrl power, etc.)" and "a couple of women in weight-loss programs." I find that hard to believe. Just keep looking. The fag stuff will be there. Do you really think that I, Johnny A, would risk my credibility as a top-ranked liberal blogger on something as stupid as this?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Pinko Punko said...

I detect a whiff of emu AND parrot here my fine Greek friend.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Everyday Activist said...

Please call me a GIRL!!!!
A few weeks ago I got into a heated discussion with a fellow gay male. His only response to my witty retorts was "You are such a GIRL". I kept saying "THANK YOU!" and he never got it!

A few years ago I volunteered working with second grade students helping them with reading and math skills. One day there was a big fuss made over one student calling another student a "GIRL". My respsonse was "Wow! Girls are wonderful, powerful, kind, funny, friendly and amazing, you can call me a girl anytime!!!" The second graders got it. From that point on being called a girl in that classroom was considered a compliment.

I am a gay male who NEVER thinks the word GIRL is an insult. Too bad Aravosis doesn't get it.

And this girl thinks Aravosis can kiss my no no parts! Okaaay!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Hippodameia said...

I'm sorry, I don't get the emu reference. :-)

I'm just happy thinking that this dust-up over Aravosis's complete lack of respect for women happened right before his latest fundraising campaign.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Funniest.
Weblog.
Ever.

12:08 PM  
Blogger eRobin said...

top-ranked liberal gay blogger, you mean.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Everyday Activist said...

" top-ranked liberal gay blogger, you mean."

Super-duper highly ranked gay male blogger over 40 with visible baby fat and mommy-hating issues from a sub Ivy league college you mean!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home